Weekly wrap-up: October 26 - November 8

Very mixed week, feelings wise. I got real on the blog for the first time. That was terrifying. It's really hard to admit difficult truths and be honest about personal weakness, and I just want to say how much I appreciate those of you who have taken the time to comment and tell me it's okay. You guys are amazing, and I love you for it. Thank you for your patience and your understanding and your support. In other, happier news, I have applied for a bookish job, and I have an upcoming interview. Cross your figners because this would be an incredible opportunity for me, and I really, really, really want this to work out!

Completed:
Lead (Stage Dive #3) - Kylie Scott: 3 stars. Enjoyable. I REALLY liked Lena, but I was less enthused about Jimmy because of his extreme douchiness in Lick. I also didn't feel much of a story this time around. The conflict didn't entirely work for me. However, it's still fun, it's still sexy, and Mal is still ridiculous. I am so pumped for Deep!
Sweet Filthy Morning After (Wild Seasons #1.5) - Christina Lauren: 3 stars. I really like getting Ansel's pov, FINALLY, but I actually wasn't wild about the narrator. Short and sweet bonus story that I enjoyed, but I wish it hadn't been an audio exclusive.
Diamonds in the Rough (Secret Diamond Sisters #2) - Michelle Madow: 2 stars. I was really interested in this series, and I liked The Secret Diamond Sisters (although it didn't blow me out of the water), but this one was merely okay. I feel like the character talk about things they've done instead of DOING things on the page. Also, there's some redundancy, and I feel like the cast is a bit too large. This series feels like a Vegas version of Gossip Girl, but whereas characters do things in GG over the course of several books or episodes or seasons, the Diamond girls are spinning in circles over the course of a chapter or two. Sadly, the best word I can use here is underwhelmed, and that makes me really sad.
"Two of Us" (The Lonely Hearts Club #1.2) - Elizabeth Eulberg: 3 stars. Cute and sweet. I really love Penny and Ryan together. These shorts aren't really necessary, but they are doing a good job of reintroducing the characters and their dynamics.
Dirty Rowdy Thing (Wild Seasons #2) - Christina Lauren: 5 stars. Finn and Harlow have some crazypants chemistry for sure, and it's SO much fun to read! Not only is this book super sexy, but there's a well-executed and realistic plot going on. I was really, really impressed. Also, I am SUPER excited because Christina and Lauren are coming to Dallas like in a week! YAAAAAAY!
"Bridge of Snow" (Winner's Trilogy #0.5) - Marie Rutkoski: 5 stars. I am SO not okay right now. I mean, I should have expected it after both Winner's Curse and Winner's Crime destroyed my tender feelings, but dang. I didn't realize such a short story would make me cry so fast! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Not only did Marie absolutely NAIL the lyrical literary quality of the story-within-the-story, but she also kept the feel of the Winner's books in the dynamic between Arin and his mother, which was so sweet and tender and precious and utterly heartbreaking.

Currently Reading:
Twilight - Stephenie Meyer. I'm participating in a Twilight reread with some friends on Twitter, and it's soooo much fun!

New to my bookshelf this week:
Library:
Nada!

Bought:
B&N:
I....don't think I've bought anything in the past two weeks....

Amazon:
Dirty Rowdy Thing - Christina Lauren. I wasn't going to, but I couldn't NOT buy it.

Events Attended: 
11/5: Roadside YA Tour with Tessa Gratton, Julie Murphy, and Natalie C. Parker. SO MUCH FUN.

No comments:

Post a Comment